What do I need to do in advance?
Each student will need to take an ACT pretest. This pretest is taken UNTIMED to help me assess the incoming knowledge level of each student. This untimed pretest must be completed before the first session of our class. Because the pretest is untimed, it can take much longer than an ordinary practice test to complete. Students are encouraged to spend as long as they want on each section so we get an accurate picture of their initial knowledge levels. They should take the test in multiple sittings spread over several days to avoid test fatigue. I’ll explain the details about accessing, taking, and scoring this pretest in an email you’ll receive once you register for the class.
What materials do I need to obtain in advance?
Please order/purchase these right away so they’ll be in hand well before the early registration date:
1) The Official ACT Prep Guide 2018-2019 – available at Amazon for around $25. Here’s the link:
Or if you prefer, you can purchase the Official ACT Prep Pack which includes the material in the Official ACT Prep Guide along with extra online and app content. It’s available from Amazon for around $50 at this link:
2) The Five Pound Book of ACT Practice Problems by Manhattan Prep – available at Amazon for under $15. Here’s the link:
3) Fat kindergarten-style pencils like “My First Ticonderoga” – available at Office Depot or Walmart. Also available at Amazon as an add-on item you can order along with your practice books – here’s the link:
4) An inexpensive old-fashioned face watch instead of a modern digital watch.
5) An ACT approved scientific calculator — can be very inexpensive (mine cost about $10). Needs to have trig functions, logs, exponents, etc. The danger is in having an advanced programmable calculator that ACT disallows. ACT says “using the TI-89 is the most common reason students are dismissed from the ACT for prohibited calculator use.” To be sure your calculator meets ACT guidelines, click here.
Optional Resources — Here are Amazon links for topic-specific resources that I recommend highly if your student needs to bring particular scores up significantly:
How do I get to the meeting place?
The class is held at the AU MRI Research Center, 560 Devall Dr, Auburn, AL 36832, in the 2nd floor classroom. Please do not use an Apple device to map your route to the MRI Center, or you will end up far, far away from the correct place and will be late to the first class. To find the 2nd floor classroom, take a right when you exit the elevator. Go around a corner and you’ll see a set of double doors. Go through those doors and turn left. The classroom is at the end of the hallway. Instead, see this map. To find the 2nd floor classroom, take a right when you exit the elevator. Go around a corner and you’ll see a set of double doors. Go through those doors and turn left. The classroom is at the end of the hallway.